Monday, November 10, 2008

Skinny Love


Skinny Love by Bon Iver is probably my favorite song du cette moment:

Come on skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer

I tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Right in the moment this order's tall

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
In the morning I'll be with yo
But it will be a different "kind"
I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines

Come on skinny love what happened here
Suckle on the hope in lite brassiere
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Sullen load is full; so slow on the split

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
Now all your love is wasted?
Then who the hell was I
Now I'm breaking at the britches
And at the end of all your lines

Who will love you?
Who will fight?
Who will fall far behind?

Nutrition can be a form of anorexia, no? Nutritionarexia could definitely be something; becoming obsessed with nutritional content in order to monitor and dictate your every calorie/vitamin/molecule intake. I can see it becoming an obsession, an excuse, just like any other eating disorder it has the potential to take over your every thought when buying, cooking, ordering and eating food.

Sometimes I have this weird tendency to buy a bag of chips or something bad for me and toss it out right after I buy it without taking a bite. It's like this mind trick I use to appease the devilish part of me that wants something that I know is bad for me. It completely suffices too! Once I purchase, hold and then quickly purge into the trash the item in question, I am totally satisfied as if I had eaten the whole bag. In fact, it's probably more satisfying for me, as I know that I didn't eat a big ball of junk. I would rather go through this motion and waste a few dollars (cause let's face it, bad food is usually really cheap) than actually eating it. But would advocating this type of psychological trick that works for me be a bad idea? Is it okay to tell people to try these tactics that waste money and, honestly, don't really solve the deeper issue at hand? Is there a deeper issue? Is there always a deeper issue? What if it works? Shouldn't we go to any length to avoid eating this bullshit ever? I can equate it to being mad at someone, writing them a bitchyass letter and then tossing it in the garbage. (Okay, who does that seriously, but ... I've heard it works.)

Could love be like this too? You feel this insatiable urge to purchase it and then, for some, to toss it out as immediately as you bought it. Buyers remorse of love. You become disgusted by it, reject it. It's gross.

To ponder for the week ahead: how is love like food? I'll write more about this soon.

No comments: